The green certificate market is an alternative to renewable auctions, since:
- It helps to achieve the decarbonization goals.
- It adjusts to the decarbonization goal automatically when demand and other parameters change.
- Readapts a system already in operation, that of the Guarantees of Origin (“GOs”).
- Does not imply added costs for the government.
- Works with, and not against, the market.
- It treats all renewable projects equally , that is, it does not discriminate between market projects (or PPA) and those auctioned.
- Green certificates allocation can be used to support sectors or technologies by allocating more than one Green Certificate per MWh of generation.